Monday 3 August 2015

Toadtastic - 03/8/2015


I was in the garden earlier today having a look at my pond, the bug hotel and finally that little wildlife den I'd made a few weeks back when I noticed something move nearby.  As I moved in for a closer look I quickly realised it was a toad and so carefully picked it up and shouted in to my girls to get the camera.

We each spent a couple of minutes holding the toad,  I took a couple of photos and then I placed it carefully back down in the area I'd found it.  I'm assuming that this toad is from the tadpoles I had couple of years ago and it has now reached maturity.

Both my girls had never seen a toad before so holding it was a first for them both.  My youngest was slightly apprehensive holding it hence the slightly blurry second photo.

13 comments:

  1. I think toads are wonderful. I have them at my allotment and I love the way they move across the soil like crawling babies. And I will never forget the time I picked up a beautiful stone close to my garden tap for a closer look and it was a toad. Finally and most excitingly I found a pair of toads mating by my water butt this February and I even managed to take a photograph. Your wildlife areas are very special and your children are learning so much - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find - and a lovely wild moment for you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well spotted - what a placid toad to sit and pose for your photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I like toads better than frogs for some reason. Great that your daughters got to experience it and handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Ian - I love toads - their eyes are so beautiful. Great find - I haven't seen one in our garden for years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb toad! I'm wondering if you have peaty soil in your area as I found an equally dark one in Scotland (you may have seen my pic), and read on the web that dark coloration could be due to the environment in which a toad lives. I'm not sure that anyone knows this for sure, Ian. But an interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love toads!We used to get loads near out pond when we were growing up! I love the feeling of toad skin on my fingers! He has great eyes too!x

    ReplyDelete